LEDs Show Great Potential For Indoor Growers
As the summer sun wanes, the days get shorter, and the weather starts to cool, you might be thinking about growing indoors. The choice between the two main lighting types --- high intensity discharge (HID) lighting or LEDs --- can be a tough one to settle. HID setups are cheaper upfront, so they appear to be the obvious choice. But, before you jump the gun, LEDs require a second look. Below are 7 benefits of horticultural LED lighting for home based growers.
1. By using LED technology you can start starting growing anywhere inside your home --- whether that is in a tent, basement, closet, or a small corner. The lights can be moved very close to your plants without the risk of damaging the leaves. In addition, the setup is easy and most, if not all, LED systems are plug-and-play.
2. You don't have to worry about excess heat given off by the diodes because LEDs run exceptionally cooler than HID lamps such as metal halide and high pressure sodium bulbs.
3. Due to the low wattage draw of LEDs, you can attain the same, if not better, results that will save you up to 70% on your energy bill (after cooling costs are factored in).
4. LED grow lights use targeted spectrums that dial into the specific photoreceptors of plants, which allows them to maximize their growth potential. For cannabis, this means increased growth, density, and resin production. Or, if you are growing vegetables --- increased size, development, and nutrient and antioxidant production. With faster growth, you can complete more growing cycles in the same amount of time.
5. After the initial LED grow light investment --- which ranges from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars --- you can expect the unit to last 5 to 10 years of consecutive use. That's 10 to 20 years if the lights are on 57% of the time! Wow!
6. Long-term costs of bulb replacements are non-existent.
7. Apart from HID bulbs, LEDs do not contain mercury and are environmentally friendly.
So, if you are thinking about starting a new grow or would like to switch to LED grow lights from traditional HID lighting, winter is the time to make the jump! The grow results will exceed your expectations and your pocket book and the environment will thank you.
See our collection of personal LED grow lights specifically designed for indoor growers.